Wednesday 2 July 2008

Are they reading my blog?!

Would you believe it: only a matter of hours after my post about Afghanistan, in which I asked if enough attention was being paid to the war there, the subject gets raised in two separate questions in today's PMQs.

Old-school Labour lefty Jeremy Corbyn wondered, surprisingly politely, if the Prime Minister might like to set a date for withdrawal.

Old-school High Tory Sir Peter Tapsell was much ruder, asking if the PM was aware that the war in Afghanistan was unwinnable -- a waste of money and lives, or words to that effect.

What an alliance!

Perhaps this is turning out to be one of those political topics where there is an all-party mainstream consensus, with the extremes meeting up with each other round the back, like Enoch Powell and the Communist Party sharing a platform against the EEC in 1975.

4 comments:

Harry Barnes said...

Well your lucky, Jeremy hasn't read my blog on Afganistan. On the day the item below was posted, I also e-mailed it to Jeremy. A letter related to my blog item was also published in the "Morning Star" last Thursday. I'm sure that Jeremy reads the paper.But sadly, I have received no reply from my old comrade yet. Booh-hoo. See -
http://threescoreyearsandten.blogspot.com/2008/06/questions-to-jeremy.html

Harry Barnes said...

Peezedtee: I knew that you weren't being serious. I also appreciate that my letters to the Morning Star hardly get read. There was, however, a response in today's letter column - but not from Jeremy. It said -
"In reply to Harry Barnes's questions on what to do about Afghanistan, could I suggest let the people of Afghanistan work it out for themselves? The evidence is that foreign "interventions" in countries invariably make matters worse and cause more bloodshed than would be the case otherwise.
Jerry Jones SW19."
Perhaps it was from Jeremy using a pseudonym. In any case, it is only a crude answer to the question the Morning Star gave to my letter. It answers none of the 7 questions I raised in the letter itself. So even when I get read, I am not understood - deliberately or otherwise.

peezedtee said...

Harry

But why would an honest politician like Jeremy Corbyn write to a newspaper under a pseudonym?

Harry Barnes said...

Peezedtee : Sorry. I'm the one that is only joking this time.